The aim of this summer school is to give students the knowledge, experience and tools to enable them to develop battlefield guiding competence to a standard where they could attempt the International Guild of Battlefield Guides Accreditation Programme. By the end of the course students will have undertaken several battlefield presentations under tour conditions, planned itineraries, developed customer service strategy for common tour problems and have an awareness of the legal and commercial issues facing guides.
- Module 1 – Introduction to Battlefield Guiding. 9-10 July.
This is an introduction to the theory and practice of battlefield guiding. It introduces the competence frameworks of the bodies accrediting guides. The course introduces the competences combining knowledge of military history, presentation skills, duty of customer care and business. It is available as a stand-alone module.
- Module 2 – Distance Learning. 11 July-31 August.
Progressive written assignments. On completion students will have familiarity with:-
- The historical method and the historical, topographical, cultural aspects of battlefields.
- Communication skills and style, what influences the receptivity of information effectively.
- Motivation for battlefield travel, customer segmentation and behaviour.
- Battlefield touring business and the commercial and legal aspects of battlefield travel.
- Customer service skills appropriate to battlefield tour guiding and management.
- Module 3 – Stand planning and delivery: 30-31 July.
Opportunities to deliver presentations in rural environments, a museum and around monuments overt two days in South East England
- Module 4 – On tour 27-28 August
Two days in France or Belgium. Itinerary planning and execution, stand delivery. Opportunity to plan and deliver tour elements, and presentations overseas.
The course tutor is Frank Baldwin MBA, Accredited Guide badge No 8. Frank Baldwin guided his first battlefield tour in 1989 and was accredited as a badged member of the Guild of Battlefield Guides in 2003. He served as the education member on the council of the Guild of Battlefield Guides for three years. He has been running guide training courses since 2013 for City Lit Adult Education College, Liberation Route Europe and the public.
The fee for the course is £1,200, which includes travel and accommodation for the tour in module 4. Module 1 is available as a single module for £150. For more information or to book, contact Frank Baldwin, email@example.com +44 781 317 9668. Website https://www.baldwinbattlefieldtours.com/battlefield-guide-training/